Giving - Stress
This is the season of giving, but should giving be stressful? I've always struggles with this part of the season - the stressful part. we love to give, we want to make others happy, sometimes we feel obligated to meet expectations, and sometimes there are way too many expectations.
Here are a few ways to reduce Holiday stress that I've used over the past 10 years while my kids were growing up.
- Reduce expectations by clarifying our family financial situation, and creating a budget together.
- No last minute shopping, plan ahead & buy online whenever possible.
- Encourage the gift of service
- Encourage the gift of spending time together
- Encourage creative gift-giving (making gifts)
- Allowing everyone to help in meal preparation
- Keeping the emphasis on the family experience of having fun together instead of on "getting presents".