Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY Kid's Craft- Family Fun!

Mice Are Nice!

Here is a fun little project I did when I was a child, and years later my own daughter enjoyed playing with these stuffed mice dolls. I think I made these when I was about 9 years old. I was sick and out of school a lot that year so my mom was always giving me craft projects to do. The finished mice are only about 4" tall.

What you will need:
White felt
Scissors
Fabric scraps
Pins with small round heads
Needle & thread
Polyester fiber-fill
Embroidery thread
(glue optional)

Create a pattern yourself based on the
diagram below.

Directions:
Make a simple pattern like the one below and use it to cut the shapes from felt. Mark the placement for the arms and feet on the mouse body pieces. Place two mouse body pieces together and pin arms in place on the inside, then stitch by hand around the edge of the body/head leaving the bottom open.

Turn the mouse body outside-in and fill with stuffing. Pin the feet and tail to the bottom circle, then hand sew the bottom circle to the body completely closing the opening. Now you have a mouse.

Next put pins in place for the eyes. Sew a nose and whiskers in place (mouth too if you want). Use embroidery thread to make hair, cut fabric pieces to make simple clothes like a skirt, apron, vest or hat and sew them on (or use glue). You can also use colored felt for the clothing, which is easier to glue instead of sewing.

I made 5 or 6 of these mice, a whole family, but I could only find the 2 you see here. I know I also had a dashing couple dressed for the town in tuxedo & top hat, evening gown and fur. Making their clothes was the most fun & creative part for me.

Pattern:


I hope you've enjoyed this little project, and please let me know how it came out if you make your own mice.

2 comments:

  1. What an adorable tutorial! Love how you can customize them - would be so fun to do with the kids - thanks for sharing!

    http://longislandchick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, I hope you have fun making some!

      Delete

I love comments and I'll do my best to respond to them all.

BabbaBox - Activity Box for Kids