Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Gap In My Heart

Yes, there has been a gap in my posts. It was an emergency, something we did not expect to happen just yet. The day after my previous post I left town to be at my mother's bedside in the hospital. I spent 3 days and 3 nights with her. My husband drove for 11 hours on Wednesday to get our daughter from college and bring her and her brothers to say goodbye to their grandmother. Wednesday night and Thursday morning our family prayed together at her bedside. Then my daughter and I stayed with her until my mother passed away
on Friday morning Nov. 16th.

My dad passed away 3 years ago and we were very sad, yet life went on because Mom was still here. We learned in September that my mom had cancer, yet the doctors said she had 18 months. She was 80 years old and had other serious health issues, but she was a fighter. After surgery to remove a tumor, she continued to become weaker, the cancer was spreading rapidly, she eventually got an infection and was admitted to the hospital for the last time. We are grateful that she's not suffering any more.

Although we know about life and death in various circumstances, we are never quite prepared for the death of a loved one. Even when that person is old and frail we want to continue to enjoy that relationship indefinitely. We believe in eternal life, yet find it so hard to let go of the physical presence. There is a gap in my heart that longs to hear my mother's voice again, longs to give her a hug, longs to spend more time together.

Life begins with family, ends with family, and is eternally remembered through family. Never underestimate the value of your family because it is the bonds of love that are eternal.

1 comment:

I love comments and I'll do my best to respond to them all.

BabbaBox - Activity Box for Kids