Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lifelong Friendships

Everyone Grows Up and Gets Old

I know when I was a kid it was hard to imagine getting old, even though I spent a lot of time with my grandparents. It was hard to imagine my own parents becoming fragile and dealing with dementia & illnesses because they were always so strong and independent. It's a reality I have to face now because I am getting older, my dad is gone and my mother is fragile and has terminal cancer. However, I see that the purpose of this aging process is that we learn to value each other more, care for each
other more, and make the best of the times we have together.

Friends, Family & Laughter

This week we were very fortunate to have a visit from our lifelong friends. Our two families became friends when I was 3 or 4 years old. With children of similar ages, and parents with similar interests, our families bonded. We had many sleepovers between the two houses, always celebrated Thanksgiving together, visited each other on Christmas Day, and went camping together many times during the year. The friendships created while our families grew up together have lasted a lifetime, even though everyone moved to different parts of the country after the kids went to college or got married. We've all kept in touch over the years in one way or another.

With my mom being ill, it was such a blessing to have a visit from her old friend, and for my brother and I it was a blast to see our childhood friend again also. We shared so many memories and laughed until our sides hurt. We got caught up on what each member of each family was doing. We even reminisced through old photographs, and took a few new ones as well. It was like a healing balm and a happiness tonic that made me really appreciate my life.

Love

Love is a growing thing that needs to be nourished and cared for. My life has taught me that through good times and bad times, whether near or far away, you stick together with your family and friends to create a life that blossoms with love. Care about others, value your relationships, keep in touch and it will bring you endless joy. We all need each other, and wonderful childhood memories and friends are a great comfort as we get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and I'll do my best to respond to them all.

BabbaBox - Activity Box for Kids